• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Cover for the 26th July Unknown Naval Censor ???

Started by Chris Grimshaw, July 26, 2020, 03:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Team

This one has me puzzled, any notes I had with it are long gone.  Standard RFHMS ? no date , Received at Bromley, Kent 1 Mar 1915 and redirected to Sidmouth, where received 2 March 15. (Backstamp)

Passed By Censor in small Triangle. 8A 20 if I've measured correctly, shown as Prince George, Gould page 173

Assistance from our Naval colleagues appreciated.

Chris

Tony Walker

Yes Chris, I'm fairly certain you have HMS Prince George correctly

I have a nice PC of Gibraltar with an identical censor mark, dated by the writer 23.3.15 and by a London PAID machine cancel April ? 1915.  At this time the ship was shelling the Turkish defences in the Dardenelles, supported by the message which states  "Still keeping alright, had a little of their shell, sent plenty in return, so if we go to David Jones Locker we can say we had a better game than jack(?) had..."

Just moved house and upgraded to Windows 10 on the computer, have yet to master the scanning process, so no image I'm afraid.

Cheers
Tony

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Tony

Good to hear from you, Trust the move went well.  "Enjoy" Windows 10.  Have you also upgraded to Office 10 or one of the later versions?

Chris

John Cranmer

Just a quick comment. 

Scanning in Win 10 should work straight "out of the box" it did for me.  Also in modern versions of Office, I am using 365, the dictation function works very well.  It seems strange speaking to a computer to start with but I can now "type" faster with less typos.  Although some manual correction is needed.