• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Daynes Book

Started by Chris Grimshaw, August 20, 2020, 03:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Team

Currently editing an article.  Can anyone tell me what "Daynes" book is referred to please,  Wish to use as a reference.

"The Military stationery reference is A F W 3078 (Marathi) and the Printers imprint is L & Co 450/B/1/G 473 13-7-44 10 lakhs. I cannot find this listed in John Daynes book (published 1991) but it is certainly within the ranges he quotes. Marathi being one of seven different languages used and 13-7-44 being the year it was printed."

Chris

Michael Dobbs

Chris

I have a copy of "Wartime Postal Stationery" - A Priced list of Forces Postal Stationery used by British Empire and Allied Forces, Edited by J.A. Dayes.  However, mine was published by FPHS in 1986.

AF W 3078 are the Green Honour Envelopes and the Indian ones are listed p.137-145
He lists two different printers with (Marathi) but both with a printing date of 1942 (Type INH.10a and b).

I wonder if 1991 is a revised edition?

Mike  :)

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Mike

I'll run with what you quote.

Normally I'd have emailed the author back but he's not on line and material came to me via "snail mail"

Appreciated

Chris

Michael Dobbs

Chris

I decided to check through our Library listing and cannot find any reference to a Daynes book in 1991 or to a GB postal stationery book for 1991, so I feel that the author has made an error.

Mike