• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Nearly missed it!

Started by Frank Schofield, October 04, 2020, 07:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Schofield

Nearly missed it
Back in the good old days before lockdown, I came across a French postcard showing a train passing over a viaduct, at first glance there is a French Army cachet present, being of little interest, so passed on it, but then I realised that the words, Mission Militaire Anglaise (British Military Mission) were in the cachet. The only active British Troops in Italy in May 1917 were the Heavy Artillery on loan to the Italian Army, was ammunition for their Howitzers being sent from the Western Front? Further examination showed a separate handstamp, VENTIMIGLIA across the centre of the cachet, this is a small town and railway station on the southern rail route into Italy, just across the border from France. Finally, I noticed the address, Jersey in the Channel Islands, I traced the writer as WOII Phillip M. Baudains of the Royal Jersey Artillery Militia, and being a Jersey man was probably fluent in French and acting as an interpreter.

Sometimes it pays to take a second look.

Frank Schofield

Michael Dobbs

Frank

A very nice postcard and a very good story to go with it - well done with your find.

Mike  :)

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Frank

Well spotted, a very nice card and as Mike says a good story to accompany it.

Chris