• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Last mail out from Germany 1939?

Started by aben-arieh, October 21, 2020, 08:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aben-arieh

Does anyone know how mail would have left Germany a day or two before the outbreak of WWII?

I have a few covers that were posted to Palestine on 30 and 31 August and managed to reach their destination. Most are airmail, two have arrival postmarks 3-5 weeks later. Boyle writes that all German civil aviation ceased on 1 September. So one question I have is, did those mails already leave Germany or were they in transit still there on 1 Sept. and manage to continue out? With those arrival dates a few weeks later, does this mean the mails were necessarily sent by surface once outside of Germany?

Any tips would be appreciated...
Alex

Ingo Egerlandt

Hi Alex,
Here is a 1st side from my exhibition collection. You see, the postcard posted on last day of August, a Wednesday evening. On 3rd declare England Germany the war on Sunday. The transport time to Vienna was in this time normaly 52 hours, to Belgium 4 hours. But this card never arrived to France/Belgium, because the border was closed before the was was declare.

If you have got some more, please write.

Ingo