• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

New Style Parcel Label

Started by Chris Grimshaw, October 22, 2020, 03:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

New smaller size Parcel Label which is reported to have been issued 5 November 1918.

Cancelled unclear APO 28 September 1920. 

Endorsed 'Koln'  Can I take this as Cologne , which would make the cancel probably APO S. 40

Chris

Alan Baker

Koln is the German name for Cologne ( or rather Cologne is the English name for Koln - sorry, can't do the Umlaut)

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Alan

Thought that is what it was, my other thought was a surname.

Have completed a trawl of Proud, there were very few of the APO S series offices open by September 1920

S 5 Berlin Courier Office
S 40 Cologne
S 61 Amins France
S 64 Solingin Germany
S 95 Dieval France
S110 Upper Sileasa
S 120 Germany

Not 100 % but I'll go with APO S 40

Rate of 1/- was the Internal Rate for The Army of the Rhine for a parcel of 11 lbs or 3 lb to the UK or elsewhere.

Views anyone.

Chris

Alan Baker

Would the APO stamp be applied at the place of origin rather than receipt? If so, almost certainly S40, given the sender's address

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Alan

Yes, Date stamp applied when dispatched from place of origin.

Chris

Peter Harvey

Hi Chris,

Are you sure this is S.40 - the gap between the bars is significant and the last digit you can see doe not look like a '0' - see attached.

Pete

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Peter

Its still not 100 %

The original scan I was supplied with had a pencil note 8 ?  Further tweaking by a fellow student comes up with a possible 3.

However based on what was still open of this series in September 1920 with the manuscript 'Kohn' cannot see it as anything else.

Chris