• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

1945 FPO 88 with SA Army Signals

Started by Marc Parren, October 25, 2020, 12:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Parren

I possess a tattered fragment of an AMLC that clearly indicates the use by a SA Army Signals Sgt at CMF and most likely somewhere in the north of Italy just after the war ended. There is mention of Venice by the writer at the inside. So this might be a lead as well. It was indicated that the FPO was 188 (Malta) but at a closer inspection it is clearly FPO 88. Proud gives apart for 1940 no use, but mentions that on 10.7.1944 the datestamp was returned to HPC. However, this fragment proves it was used later on as well. Have others seen its use after 10.7.1944? If so by what units, when and where?

Marc

Peter Harvey

Hi Marc,

I had a very close look at this, please see the attached. I agree that the second number is an 8, but I think this is FPOO 68 which was used this date with 20 Line of Control Postal Unit (Port Operations) with the CMF.

Maybe I am wrong, but it would be unusual for the other FPO's that you mention to have only just been found used this late, with a single recording.

Regards