• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Released by Base Censor 20

Started by Alan Baker, February 03, 2021, 10:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

In my efforts to put together something for the next zoom meeting, I have come across this cover. It is addressed to Mount Elgin, Ontario, Canada with a receiving backstamp dated 8th July 1944. It bears a US 6c Airmail stamp , cancelled by what appears to be FPO118, 1st July.

The censor stamp is one I have not been able to find in the limited literature I have. Is it American?

Any information would be gratefully received

Michael Dobbs

So we have another what appears to be Canadian cover (as it is addressed to Canada) with a US postage stamp to pay for the 6c air mail rate - see John Cranmer's cover under "How to understand this WW2 cover and letter" posted on 11 January 2021.

FPO 118 was allocated to APO S.479 under 7 L of C Postal Unit on 14/4/44 and was still shown as being with 7 L of C PU on 6/8/44.

Proud shows this as Bizerta, Tunisia (31/3/43 - 17/3/44).

I am sure that I have seen this type of censor cachet before - but where I cannot remember!

Mike  :)

Nick Colley

Yes, Mike, you probably have. It's in Daynes 2nd Edition, page 50, designated B401. I think it was in the 1st Edition, too. That does rather imply that John considered it a British mark, I think, not US.

chrs
N

Michael Dobbs

Aaah - thanks Nick, I should have looked there before I responded, silly me!
Alan certainly needs to get a copy of Daynes (edited by Colley) 2nd Edition!

I agree that if it is listed there then it is almost certainly British - I wonder if it has been reported in one of our early Newsletters (now Journal) ?

Mike  :)

Nick Colley

You're correct, of course, Mike: Alan really does need a copy of Daynes 2nd Edition. He'd better hurry, though: I gather from Peter that there aren't many left.

chrs
N

Alan Baker

I have suddenly realised that I have a copy of Daynes 1st Edition (signed by JD!) although I cannot remember where or when I acquired it. Probably at Banstead after a liquid lunch!

The mark is indeed shown there on P28.

Next question - where was FPO118 in July 1944 as it is outside the range Mike notes from Proud