• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Serbian Relief Fund

Started by Chris Grimshaw, March 13, 2021, 03:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Team

Scan shows a card to USA connected with the Serbian Relief Fund

Picture postcard from Skoplje to Chicago, USA, postage 10para cancelled by single ring Skoplje, and also the double ring Nish cancel. A Serbian Military double ring censor cachet in Violet has been applied together with a straight line J 812 mark. Date of posting unclear.

Anyone have any information on the 'J 812' mark ?  Contemporary or a later addition.  Is these anyone else with an interest in the SRF in this period (WWI)?

To clarify, currently am item I'm looking at with a view to purchase and not yet residing in my collection.

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Team

This item arrived yesterday, am able to date as some time in may 1915,

Interesting message as shown below.

Message reads "was surprised to see what splendid order our hospital was in and the splendid discipline. Our health is of the best and the conditions are greatly improved and under control." The typhus epidemic at this time had largely been stamped out.

A number of Americans served with the 2nd of Lady Paget's units as Sister's and Orderlies.

An interesting period.  Very little have been published in our journal. 

I have also started to look at the Serbian Military mail from this period, does anyone know of any publications or articles covering the Serbian FPO's in operation.

Chris

Peter Gassmann

Chris, do you know the book "Serbian Military Postal System in Exile 1916 – 1918" by Miodrag R. Vuković, 2016? he covers the Serbian FPOs.
best regards, Peter

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Peter

Not a book I've come across, Google tells me Privately printed in an edition of 50 copies.  Last I can trace sold in 2019 for £102.50

I've come across the author before though.

Chris