• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Italian Occupation of Albania 1916 - 1920

Started by Chris Grimshaw, March 28, 2021, 01:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team

Our studies of Postal History can take us down many avenues.  If anyone had asked me a week ago ' what do do you know about Albania in WWI'  my reply would have been the death march of the Sebians in 1915 and the British presence in 1919.

The arrival of the card shown in the scans changed all that,  Following the Defeat of Serbia and subsequent retreat through Albania to the coast Albania was occupied by the Austrians, 

In May 1916 Italy landed 100,00 men and occupied the Southern part of the country, the French also occupied a smaller section with the North of the country under Austrian control.

The Italians established a number of Military post offices,  The cancel used is shown

. POSTA MILITARE . TRUPPE OCCUPAZIONE with the date and a number,  Scan shows no 1, 

I have also seen No's 2 & 3 but do not know if there are others.

Mail was also censored as shown VISTO PER CENSURA = Seen for Censorship

Scan shows a Italian Military Card with details of sender filled in and location given as Albania.  The Circular Cachet I believe is a Unit Cachet.

Any one with an interest in this campaign please get in touch.

Chris