• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Augustus Elliot Tabuteau

Started by Tony Walker, April 14, 2021, 10:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

Augustus Elliott Tabuteau (b 2.10.1880) was a naval paymaster who was killed when there was an internal explosion on HMS Natal whilst undergoing repairs in New York on 30 December 1915.  I have been trying to piece together some details of his naval career to that point, and in particular on which ship he was serving on 28 January 1908, which was at Turks Islands, en route for Haiti where it was due the next day.

He was wounded during the Boxer Rebellion in 1900 (where he appears to have the rank of Clerk?) and was promoted to the rank of Paymaster for services in China, on 2 October 1907.  I'm fairly certain Tabuteau was on HMS Centurion, captained by Jellicoe which supported Vice Admiral Seymour's unsuccessful attempt to relieve the Foreign Delegations in Beijing 10 to 28 June 1900, being besieged by the Boxers.

If anyone can amplify these details I'd be most grateful.

Frank Schofield

Tony

Sadly no ship against his name in January 1908 Navy List index, big gap in my lists until 1913

Frank

Tony Walker

Further to my first post concerning Paymaster Augustus Elliott Tabuteau, can someone who accesses the medals awarded to naval personnel be kind enough to check if Tabuteau was awarded any medals, especially perhaps as a result of actions during the Boxer Rebellion.

Cheers
Tony

Alan Baker

First pass puts him on HMS Indefatigable (not the battlecruiser but an old cruiser, whose name was changed in 1910 to Melpomene) in the October 1908 Navy List. Not found any medal records yet