• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

A300 censor 1940 - new type?

Started by Michael Dobbs, May 15, 2021, 10:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received the following enquiry:

FIELD POST OFFICE 190 - 25 OC 40
A300 censopr, numbered 89

[color=maroon]Good morning, can you please help? I have a cover dated 25/10/40 sent from Egypt to London. it has assessor mark similar to A300 however the inside and outside square lines are wavy not straight! I cannot find in my WW2 Censor mark book; can you identify this for me?[/color]

My first thoughts were that it was wear and tear - that was before I saw the cover.  Now I am not so sure - what ar your thoughts please, or has anyone else seen other numbers in the same "style"?

Thanks, Mike  :)

Jim Mackay

To me, it looks to have been forcibly deformed somehow.
Jim

Nick Colley

Well, it's certainly an A300 style, isn't it. This handstamp has clearly undergone some traumatic physical stresses, but the deformation is not symmetrical, is it? I've always assumed these were rubber stamps, so perhaps some bored individual was (absent-mindedly?) manipulating it with his fingers - or some other implement -  while engaged in another less than captivating activity?

Pure speculation, of course.

chrs
N