• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Query Cachets No 1 WWI

Started by Chris Grimshaw, August 01, 2021, 11:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Morning Team

Spending a little time sorting out some of my accumulation of WWI Military Unit cachets.

Scan shows two with queries

'L' INFANTRY BASE DEPOT from APO S 24 which was located at Calais serving No 12 Infantry Base Depot

L of course is the 12th letter of the alphabet so makes sense.  Other examples from 'A' onward possibly exist.

Second cover with an unclear APO S series cancel shows a cachet of CAMP GUARDS ZENECHEM  'C' could be an 'O'

Anyone come up with a location please?

Chris

Alan Baker

I have found references to a Zenegham Ammunition Dump, about 20 km south-east of Calais

Michael Dobbs

Chris

Re: L Infantry Base Depot - please see attached link.  The lettering of IBDs diod not follow the course you have indicated (i.e. L = 12th letter, thus 12 IBD)

The listing shows first the numbered IBDs, then for those that were redesignated with letters the lettered IBDs:
[url=https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/other-aspects-of-order-of-battle/infantry-base-depots-in-france-1914-1918/]https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/other-aspects-of-order-of-battle/infantry-base-depots-in-france-1914-1918/[/url]

Mike  :)

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Alan

Could by and a case of slightly different spelling.

Mike

Thanks for this lead, a site I've not used for a while.

See now where I was getting confused, took the reference for IBD No 12 from Proud, 

However the Long Trail site is slightly confusing.  NO 17 IBD which became 'L' Deport is shown as Etaples,  However 'L' Depot is shown as Rouen? then Calais by May 1918. 

I have a further example of 'L' depot, 1 March, 1918 again cancelled APO S 24 which is Calais.

Chris