• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Is this item Naval???

Started by Frank Schofield, July 18, 2021, 04:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Schofield

About twelve days ago we had a query on a Naval Mark, this was quickly sorted out by Tony Walker as HMS Warspite

The attached printed envelope addressed to Brighton, is most unusual
It has a machine postmark (possibly London) which has missed the stamp. dated early in the war on NOV 3 14, about this time the fancy ships cancels started appearing, mostly mute crosses, made I think from potato cuts
A KGV halfpenny stamp has been missed, the fact this rate on an envelope suggests it is a printed paper rate, when they had to leave the envelope open for inspection at the post office, the flap has not been stuck down
BUT WHY WOULD A POSTMAN CANCEL THE MISSED STAMP WITH WHAT LOOKS LIKE A BROOCH, IT IS NOT ROUGH CUT
Any observations or comments welcome

Frank Schofield

Tony Walker

Hi Frank

That's an attractive dumb cancel - probably the most attractive I've seen.!
I would like to think it was naval, but as there have been no sightings of this mute cancel before, most naval mail (if it had a stamp at all) would have been 1d and no censor markings - that suggests perhaps another point of origin.  I can understand the logic for the mute cancellation following after the faulty machine cancel.  It may have been applied at the delivery office which noticed the stamp was uncancelled.

As to the fancy mute cancel - maybe it had been prepared earlier for a special occasion, spring flower festival, a  FDC?  It will b interesting to know if anyone else has a copy

Cheers
Tony