• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

WW1 "Inspector of??' Doullens France 1919

Started by Peter Harvey, March 08, 2023, 11:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

I would appreciate any comments on the address given by the sender of this card.

Dated July 1919 and cancelled Army Post Office S.42, Proud locates this at Doullens and the writer confirms this with their address (top left), but the address includes 'c/o Inspector of_______' and I can not make out the word here, so many comments welcome.

Thank you

Jim Mackay

Michael Dobbs

I'm finding it extremely difficult -

His name looks like Pte A Fookes 405867
If you look to the bottom left to where it is addressed it looks like A Fookes RASC
(the Army Service Corps became Royal Army Service Corps in 1918 and this was posted on 2 July 1919)
At the bottom of the written text could his first name be Albe?

It could be Fire although it looks like Fures!

I've tried various searches but cannot find anything near a match - I hope that those who are used to name searching have better luck than I!

Mike

Malcolm Cole

Peter,
This chap was indeed Albert William Fookes born in 1890. He was attached to the Royal Fusiliers initially (service no G/62372) and after receiving a gunshot wound to the back, seems to have been transferred on 22nd March 1918 to the Royal Army Service Corps (service no 405867) where he undertook and passed a shorthand typing exam at the Reserve Supply Personnel Depot, remaining there as a Clerk. He was de-mobbed on 4th October 1919.

Hope this helps
Malcolm

Laurent Le Grel

Hello,

There exists a city in Belgium called "Furnes" (but I do not know if "Inspector of Furnes" makes sense...)

Hope this helps.

LLG