• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

RTFGG - was it in East Africa?

Started by Nick Guy, August 27, 2021, 08:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Guy

I have an Airgraph (ie the message enlarged from the microfilm) addressed from Birmingham to 2/LT J. L. ADAMS, R.T.F.G.G., A.P.O. 4860 which came to me enclosed in an East African delivery envelope with an E.A. A.P.O. 87 postmark.  Where airgraphs are now in envelopes, it is, of course, impossible to say whether they originally formed a pair but it would be interesting to know for sure whether this airgraph was at least delivered in East Africa or from Nairobi (since the Nairobi airgraph station at one time or another served forces across much of Africa).  I have been unable to establish what RTFGG stood for or where it was - can anyone help, please?  Likewise, can anyone tell me where APO 4860 was (indeed are there any published listings of locations/duties of the APO numbers used as part of addresses as opposed to the APO numbers used in postmarks which I understand are [deliberately?] different) please?

Thanks for any ideas

Nick Guy

Ross Debenham

Hi Nick, I also have a AMLC addressed to the same recipient and addressed initially to Services Section, Arms and Services Wing located in Ceylon. Lt Adams had apparently been transferred back to Nairobi, in 1944 where the AMLC was redirected to. It was routed through APO 87, which was believed to be located at Nairobi Airport. I have not seen that APO number used in Nairobi before, but for your information I attach a scan of where his mail was redirected to, which may help you in your quest. What makes locating these units, is that most incoming mails came through the post office at the airport, and locations could be anywhere in East Africa Command.

Michael Dobbs

Nick

I refer you to my article inJournal 274 (Winter 2007) on Numbered APO addresses in WW2.  This explains the background.  As far as I am aware no one (except possibly myself) has compiled a listing of APO numbers used as an address.  My listing has largely relied upon entries in various Post Office Circulars relating to telegraph services to HM Forces overseas.  These contain no locations.

The only reference to APO 4860 I have is from the Post Office Circular of 3 March 1943: EFM telegraph service authorised

As regards the letters RTFGG these are draft index letters given to groups of individuals being sent overseas.  I do not know how they were generated or if they has any meaning in terms of generic location or where generated, etc.  I have not come across any listing or reference to their generation in any files I have seen at The National Archives.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Mike  :)

Nick Guy

Thank you both - if not quite there, I understand my airgraph a bit better.  As my airgraph was sent in July 1943 it looks as if it could have been sent while he was on his way to the posting on Ross's AMLC - and in the right part of the world for mail to be routed via Nairobi during part of the journey, even if it isn't proven.  By the way, Ross, I suspect from the writing that your AMLC was sent, as was my airgraph, by his wife who signs herself "Biddy."  Unfortunately I am still struggling to get my scanner to talk to my new PC so cannot attach a scan!

Nick