• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

BFPO Manzini, Swaziland, 1965

Started by Neil Williams, October 16, 2021, 12:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Williams

Folks

see the attached top portion of an AV7 airmail record form. At only 6 grams, the consignment must have been a single bluey!

I presume this is to BFPO 640, but my searches in the QEII FPOs draft document do not find an FPO listed at Manzini (once Bremersdorp, 2nd city of Swaziland).

One is however listed at Matsapa; presumably Matsapha Airport near Manzini?

So is Matsapa/Manzini the same FPO?

regards
Neil

Michael Dobbs

Neil

Thank you very much for this - please see my notes on BFPO 640 Swaziland in the attached document.  I make a reference to "A reference to BFPO Manzini in September 1965 has been seen" which has been taken from Alistair Kennedy's article in Newsletter No 258 (Winter 2003).  Your item confirms that reference and I'll amend my notes accordingly to state where it comes from.  I cannot really provide an answer, only to suggest either by 1965 the BFPO had moved to Manzini or else the references to Mbabane are incorrect and should read Manzini.  This will require further research (particularly in any records which may be held in The National Archives).  But a big thank you to posting your item as its makes the reference to Manzini a lot clearer.

Mike  :)

Neil Williams

Mike

many thanks for that. Most informative. Pleased this item is a piece in the jigsaw!

I've googled St George's Barracks, and they are right next to the (ex) airport at Matsapha, which is itself now a suburb of Manzini.

It will be interesting if anything 'new' can be found in the Archives.

Neil