• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

THE CRUISE OF H.M.S. “LYCHNIS" July 1919

Started by Chris Grimshaw, October 18, 2021, 02:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team

Naval matters for this one, currently transcribing into a Word Document a flimsy typed copy headed as above 9th July 1919 to 28th July 1919.  Departed from Salonika  and engaged in a 'Show the Flag' cruise.

Written I believe by a W.G.J. STEVENS. which is shown on the front covering sheet.  The way he writes and describes himself and various matters I feel he's 'Senior Naval Officer'  Salonika.

Can anyone ID him please? 

Two excerpts shown below.

"On the return from our Egg Purchasing Expedition a street photographer prevailed on us to have a photo taken – so the three of us (Commander Noakes, Sub Lieut. Smith and self) posed and after much delay the photo was taken. The result was really very remarkable for the primitive photographic set this would-be-Downey was possessed of. "

"Numerous butterflies were successfully entrapped both on the outward and return journey and safely deposited in the S.N.O.'s Killing bottle.

Any assistance appreciated please.

Chris

Alan Baker

I have found him on both FWR and Ancestry, described as Paymaster Sub-Lt (later Lt Cdr), RNR. The London Gazette dated 30th January 1919 includes his name in a list of officers mentioned in a despatch from Lt Gen Sir GF Milne, C-i-C, British Salonika Force, for "gallant conduct and distinguished services" during the period 1st March - 1st October 1918.

His name appears in Navy Lists through to 1934.

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Alan

Appreciated.  As Paymaster Dept, cannot really see him as S.N.O. possibly he ran the Office.

Chris