• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Balloons at Aden, WW1 - a query

Started by Neil Williams, October 28, 2021, 05:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Williams

Folks

I'm seeking to go a little deeper into this cover. I was initially dubious as to why a local cover should be marked 'On Active Service' and be franked massively at 6annas to go a couple of miles. However I found the RFC/RAF records of Knights' on line and indeed he was in the Middle East and with 57 (Kite) Balloon Section at the time of this cover. So I suspect he's sent it to himself for philatelic purposes.

I can't find #57 in my 'library', but did find 55 & 56 which were part of 6 Balloon Wing HQ'd in Egypt at this time, so I would guess 57 was as well. There are also a couple of photos on-line of kite balloons in Aden in 1917, and also a reference to 13 Kite Balloon Section of the RNAS being there in February 1917.

Questions: Does anybody have locations and dates for either or both of 57 Balloon Section RFC/RAF and 13 Kite Balloon section RNAS?

Neil W