• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Field Post Office G.6 (1918)

Started by Peter Gassmann, November 28, 2021, 11:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Gassmann

Dear Experts,

I'm not clever enough to understand Kennedy and Crabb... cannot find the Field Post Office G.6 post mark. It is depicted in the Italy section, but I cannot find it in any listing. Could anyone help me to understand to which unit G.6 belongs to? (and maybe how to find this in Kennedy and Crabb?)

And does anyone have information on the allocation of the CM8 censor marks used on this cover? How could it be explained that there are two different censor marks?

best wishes, Peter

Peter Harvey

Hi Peter,

It is not G6 but FPO GQ located with GHQ Italy, easily confused.

You should be able to locate in K&C - Proud has at Villa Marcello Nr Treviso this date.

Regards

Alan Baker

I think this is FPO GQ, (not G6). Proud lists this as being at Villa Marcello (Nr Treviso) at this time.

CM8/5 is listed by Alistair Kennedy with FPO FD1 (Field Depot), which corresponds with the backstamp. Frank Schofield (whose records of CM8 I have) lists a number of different covers with this stamp, including one naval usage, but no specific details of units etc. Unfortunately, neither AK nor Frank list CM8/216.

It would appear that the CM8/216 censor stamp is underneath the FPO GQ franking dated 25/11. The CM8/5 stamp, which is under the Italian franking dated 27/11. However, I cannot offer an explanation as to why there are two censor marks, except perhaps that they were applied at different locations on its delivery route. Perhaps Frank would be able to suggest something.

He may be able to give information about the Italian franking, particularly the "UFF"

The addressee is Dr Marcus Antonius Johnston-Lavis, who was born in Naples in 1880. During WWI he served with the British Red Cross Society and St John Ambulance, presumably in Italy. He died in 1960 in France.

Michael Dobbs

Peter - Under Kennedy & Crabb:

page 83 (Numerical Postmark Listing)
shown as GQ (Type D2) issued on 19 DE 17 and recorded used JA 18 to MY 19 in I for Italy with 1 GHQ, Italy (2nd Echelon)
Valuation code of D (see page 52)

Then turn to page 252 for Italy; example shown on page 254 and then the entry is on page 255 towards the bottom of the page you see GHQ.  This lists principal locations and dates.

Regards, Mike

Alan Baker

Frank cannot shed any light on the Italian franking. It might be necessary to approach the Italy & Colonies PS

Peter Gassmann

thank you all for your help! Mistaking G6 for GQ was of course not helpful...

regarding the italian postmark I found the following document: http://www.aicpm.net/Documenti_pubblicazioni/GGconcentramenti.pdf

the mark on my cover seems to be type 26. it must have been applied in Treviso, coincidentially the location of GHQ. It sounds as if the cover was handed over to the Italian in Treviso to transport it to Rome.

best wishes, Peter