• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

B M POSTNARK

Started by Peter Burrows, March 18, 2022, 10:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Burrows

Can any body help, who used this postmark used during Second World War

Michael Dobbs

Peter

I would suggest that B.M. is for Birmingham.

In "Collect British Postmarks" 8th Edition, Bill Pipe 2011 (pub Stanley Gibbons) under "Large Circular Handstamps - Exceptional types" it illustrates a similar type but with LIVERPOOL as Type 9/79 which states "Large barred circle e.g. Liverpool, B.M. (Birmingham)".

However, I can offer no further explanation as to when this has been used or why on a cover with a London-based organisation and addressed to Edinburgh.

Mike

Michael Dobbs

I've just carried out a search of our Forum and came up with this topic in February 2017:
[b][color=maroon]Crash cover with B.M. postmark [/color][/b]

It illustrates a crash cover from the Korean War period.

Mike

PS: are you suggesting the sender or recipient was an informer or spy, esp one working for the police (copper's [b][u]nark[/u][/b])  :) :) ;)

Michael Dobbs

As Peter Burrows has pointed out to me the mark is also illustrated in "English & Welsh Postmarks since 1840" by James A Mackay, published by the author 1980 - illustration 2464 on page 131 with text on page 134, under the chapter dealing with "Parcel Postmarks".  I somehow missed that page when I was hurredly looking through my copy !!

Mike  ;D