• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Lt. Lucas Shadwell RNAS WWI

Started by Tony Walker, February 06, 2022, 09:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

I have a letter from Noel Lucas Shadwell dated Feb 9 1915.  I have a number noted : 30687, but this is not on the letter or envelope so presumably added later

The envelope has the red square boxed PASSED BY / crown  / No.1 / CENSOR,
with a  dr cds  FIELD POST OFFICE / A / 10 FE / 15 / T.8 postal cancellation

The letter in faded smudged pencil looks to have 3rd Brigade F.T.A.?, 8th Division under his name.  It is addressed to Miss Frances Stubbs, Laurel Cottage, Guestling, nr. Hastings

In my researches and writing up of the RNAS Armoured Car Campaign in Russia there is a Lt. Lucas Shadwell (RNVR) who acquitted himself extremely bravely and was awarded I believe the DSC.  It must surely be the same man?

Recruiting for the Armoured Car squadrons took place later in 1915, so he could well have volunteered to join them from the 3rd Brigade?  I would be very pleased if someone could tell me what he did and where he was, up to joining the Armoured cars.

When the men returned from Russia towards the end of the war they were granted extended leave.  The armoured cars were transferred to army control and went to the far east to Dunsterforce.  Many men followed that course, others stayed in the UK and joined other units.  Did Shadwell go to Dunsterforce?

Cheers
Tony

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Tony

Found his Service Record at the National Archives,  They are still doing the Free Downloads which is great.  See attached

Chris

Tony Walker

Thanks Chris - much appreciated.

Good to see you up and about

Tony