• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

naval chaplains in WWI

Started by Tony Walker, May 24, 2022, 04:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

I have a philatelic friend living in foreign parts who is studying the role of naval chaplains on board ship during WWI.  He is particularly interested in those serving in the British Navy.  Scans of covers with the identifiable censor marks (for instance) on them would be of great interest to him.

Primarily from Michael Gould's two handbooks I have identified the following, those with an asterisk alongside I have examples of their signature/initials on WWI covers and have scanned them to my friend.  I would be delighted to receive scans of any others on this list, and indeed chaplains not noted above

HMS Prince George              W.H.M.      Rev. WH Maundrell
HMS Conqueror                  WKKA        Rev.  WK Knight-Adkin
HMHS St. Marg. of Scotland THLJ          THL Jellicoe
HMHS St. Marg. of Scotland JD McC      James McCarthy ****
HMS Black Prince                                Rev WF Webber
HMS Princess Margaret                        FW Hicks
HMHS Magic                                        RF Ashley-Spencer
HMHS China                                        Chaplain R.N. / Censor
HMS Blake                          CTFF        Rev. CTF Fields ****
HMHS's (3 known)              JMMcC      James D McCarthy (see above)
HMS Crescent                      CHP          Charles H Payton ****
HMS Warspite & HMS Mars                  Re. Walter Carey
HMS Warspite                                    Antony Pollen (RC)
HMS Ajax                                          Montagu Heinsselin
HMS Aboukir                                      Edward Glenhall Robson kia
HMS Hogue                                        Wilfred Ellis - survived
HMHS Rohilla                                      Basil Gwydir kia (RC)
HMS Good Hope                                  Arthur Pitt
HMHS Soudan (?)                                AHG Creed ****

I would imagine most of the Hospital Ships would have carried a Chaplain on board?  Maybe much of their mail was not censored or censored by someone lse as the Chaplain was busy with the passengers.  I'm sure there are several more names which can be added to this list, but whether any can be identified as censors on WWI mail is the question

Comments welcome.

Tony
walker369@btinternet.com

Peter Harvey

Hi Tony,

I am sure there are many members that would have copies of these, but I am not sure that they all use the Discussion Forum.

However, I have one item for sale on eBay and have attached a picture of this, G.A.W Wilkinson

Peter

Tony Walker

Thanks Peter, I'll be in touch direct

Cheers
Tony

Graham Mark

Hello Tony
I have a book !!
Taylor, Revd Gordon (1978) "The Sea Chaplains", pub Oxford Illust Press, 603+xixpp. ISBN 0902280562
Beside a list of 13 columns of "Chaplains mentioned by name" in the the 43pp index, there are 12 appendices:
1.  Chaplains of Capital Ships during WW2
2.  Chaplains of the Fleet and Principal Chaplains
3.  Chaplains noticed before 1626
4.  ditto 1626-1684
5.  ditto 1685-1903
6.  ditto 1904-1978 inc temp Chaplains RNVR 39-47 & Chaplains RNVR mobilised in 1939
7.  Church of Scotland & Free Church Chaplains
8.  Roman Catholic Chaplains
9.  Chaplains RNVR & RNR (all denominations) RNVR 1917-58 & Chaplains RNR from 1958
10. Honorary Chaplains RNVR & RNR
11. Former Naval Chaplains who became bishops
12. Naval Chaplains known killed, lost or died afloat or on active service (from 1553-1945)
Unfortunately the lists of Chaplains in these appendices are not listed alphabetically, but by year and presumably then by date of appointment.

This source should add a few to your list.
If you just happen to be planning to be at Hinckley meeting I will bring the book.
Best regards
Graham

Colin Tabeart

Just a comment - one thing you will not find is a Chaplain serving in a submarine. We regarded them as bad luck, plus of course everyone in a submarine is needed to watchkeep - we did not carry passengers! THere would probably have been Chaplains as part of a Depot Ship's Company.
Colin