• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Newsletter / Journal Index New

Started by Chris Grimshaw, August 22, 2022, 01:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team

I'm currently seeing how far back I can go using 'Copy and Paste' into a Word Document of the 'Content' page of previous Newsletter / Journals. 

The aim is to create a complete Word Document which will be Searchable by Author's name, (test runs so far show this works, brings up all entries under a name and show what articles they submitted and Journal/ Newsletter with page No where such can be found. 

From current Journal No 333 back to where it changed from a Newsletter to Journal is simple enough.  Needs a little work on some of the entries. (Book Reviews mainly) Below No 261 is where the problems start to occur.

Basically no Authors are shown on the Contents page certainly on what I've looked at so far.  This will mean retyping all the contents pages and going through to see who wrote what. 

I also have found a problem on Journal No 290.  Alone of all the run from No 260 to current Journal, No 290 will not let me Copy and Paste.  No problem I have a Hard copy and can retype.

Anyone have any suggestions about an easy way to deal with No's 1 to 260,

Chris

webmaster

Hi Chris

I've replaced Journal 290 with a searchable document, so you can highlight text and cuta and paste etc. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a technology solution to extracting the authors from the articles.

Chris Grimshaw

Cheers Bob

You're a Star.
One other thing I've spotted on the Journal/Newsletter listings.  No 280 has a PDF as usual, also there's a Word file for No 280.  Might be worth removing the Word file, save  a little room.

Cheers. Chris

Michael Dobbs

Chris / Bob

Just to correct you on that - it is Journal No [b]281[/b] (Autumn 2009) that is both in Word and PDF!

Mike

webmaster

Tony Walker

This will be an invaluable tool for members to use.

It will also prevent slightly forgetful members like me from submitting similar article to one I had already submitted some year ago.  Most embarrassing!

The British West Indies Study Group have a superbly searchable index of items from their bulletins.

Thanks Chris for your endeavours

Tony