• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Censored By Master

Started by Peter Harvey, October 25, 2022, 03:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

I would appreciate date any help, or thoughts on the attached, rather unusual use of a T2 WW1 censor.

Standard Received From H.M. SHIP (no London or other location - assuming a cachet rather than a machine), with the British Army T2 PASSED BY CENSOR No 3346. Under the cachet the manuscript: Censored By Master L Y James.

Has anyone else seen this manuscript censored signature before?

Thank you. 

Tony Walker

I thought I'd be replying 'yes', as I found a single cover in my database which said 'Censored by Master' in manuscript.

Sure, it is, but it's not in the same hand, nor to the same address

It has the RFHMS / NCTBR integral with the London machine cancel dated MAY 18 17D

Cheers
Tony

Alan Baker

Checking AK's ledger, he notes CM2/3346 with HM Ships in Feb 1916. Not sure it helps though

Chris Grimshaw

Same again added to the Type 2 Document.

F Daniel records 2/3346 as E Africa. Effectively the latter part of Type 2 from 3287 to 3352 is all East Africa (highest No recorded in May 84) (FD's note)  is all blank, FD only records 3 units in this range.  A lot of information needed here.

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Tony

Does your example / record bear a Type 2 Censor mark?

Chris

Michael Dobbs

Oh dear - all I can think of when I see this post is the recent special Doctor Who episode on BBC where the renegade Time Lord the "Master" is involved in trying to kill Doctor Who before she re-generates into a new Doctor !!! 

I must study my covers more !!

Sorry - Mike