• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Yes Type 5 Censor Again I'm afraid

Started by Chris Grimshaw, November 25, 2022, 04:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

I think I may have identified a chunk of these censors, early days yet.

I really need sight of AK's 's' record cards. (

Does anyone have any records of Type 5 censors in the Block 3460 - 3500, starting to feel these may all be associated with Base Censors.

Chris

Alan Baker

Looking at my records and AK's ledger, most are Base Censors with a smattering of S Nos. There are one or two with D Nos and a couple of Canadian markings.

Wayne Schnarr notes 3481 - 3483, 3494 as Canadian, with queries against several others.

I have 3499 on 05/01/1917 with FPO164 (Phase II) which AK notes as 153 MGC, 51 Division

I think we do need to get all the index cards together, with the ledger, so that anyone can access them

Chris Grimshaw

Reference to 3481 & 3483 are interesting,

I have two examples of each,

5/3481 Cancelled Army Post Office 2 – Dated 24 February 1917 & 19 July 1917, One to Dorset, second into Ireland (Dublin) signed F B Wallis

Cancelled Army Post Office S 5 – Dated 21 December 1916 & 17 January 1917 Signed W Dugdale

Chris

Alan Baker

3481 - AK's ledger - APO2 22/08/1917 - he attributes to HAC
                    BAPO2 07/1917
I also have recorded this No with Clerk 1st Class 43556 Low A, RFC/RAF - 12/1916

About 3000 entries on FWR for F Wallis

3483 - ledger - APO2, BAPO2, S5, S21, - he notes HMHS St George

About 100 on FWR for W Dugdale, mostly "PBI". Can you post a scan?

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Alan

Again all info noted with relevant censor No.

Scan of the 'Dugdale cover attached. Second cover to same address.

Alan Baker

Looks like FW Dugdale - FWR has only one entry - Lt with Army Ordnance Corps, also served with RGA

Chris Grimshaw

Peter Harvey

But then again, could Also be Lt.-Colonel F.W. DUGDALE 1/1st Warwickshire Yeomanry - but then again why would a Lt Col be writing to a Corporal !

Chris Grimshaw

A Yeomanry Lt Col writing to the Remounts Depot could be feasible I suppose.

Complaint about quality of remounts supplied?

We'll never know.

Chris

Alan Baker

I don't think he actually wrote the letter. The writing is very different.