• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Greek card from Albania 1918??

Started by Michael Gould, January 12, 2015, 04:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Gould

I hope to find out how to attach a scan to this! If I fail, I am asking for any thoughts on a postcard of an Evzone with his wife in national dress. This was written on 28 June and postmarked APO S100 on 2 July, noted as received in Yorkshire on9 July. A note has been added 'Forces in Albania'. I actually doubt this as, as I understand it, no British forces went there until after Nov 1918. Mail is known from there postmarked S100 several days after writing so that part ties up. The shield censor is faint but the number is 582, beyond the normally quoted maximum number of 498 (although I believe at least one other item has been reported with a 500 number). The number associated with Albania is 433 (are others??). The only two clues as to what this card might be is a note in the message 'have seen fine sights of the country recently (I take it probably Greece)' and that the frank looks to be initials, not a full name. My hunch is that this might be a supply ship and it is possible that this shield censor was used on board. Any comments?? Michael  Hi ho --- can someone please tell me how to attach a scan? I cannot see a button for it. Michael

Frank Schofield

Michael

I am surprised no member has attempted to help you with your problem, still having slight trouble with my new scanner, have you tried the Webmaster? He has always proved very helpful in the past

But until I can see the scan can only help with the following:-

The censor mark surely cannot be No. 582 but a poor strike of No. 382, I have been collecting the British Army in Italy in WW1 for over 25 years, and have a database with nearly 1800 items bearing the censor shield numbers (type CM8). Of these I have 34 records of No. 382; every one of them is cancelled with the APO S100 datestamp (including one RN item).

Proud quotes the CM8 numbers up to 498, I have 499 (4 items) and the late Frank Daniel recorded 1 item, I have never seen a higher number i.e. 500+, which of course some members will probably have great pleasure of telling me they have seen plenty of these.

Regarding the British Forces in Albania. In 1915 the British Naval Exp (Trowbridge) retreated from the Danube with the Serbian Army and ended up in Albania (see "All in a Day's Work" by C.L. Kerr, chapters XVII – XXI). Also in May 1916 the British Adriatic Mission at Brindesi became the British Mission to the Serbian Army, locations a bit vague, but certainly still in Albania in the early days.

The censor CM8 No. 433 you mention was allocated to the 1st/6th Gloucester Regt, which were billeted in the Royal Palace in Scutari, Albania during March and April 1919 before moving to Egypt.

Hope of some help

Frank Schofield

Michael Gould

Thank you Frank. My censor is not good but certainly looks like 5 but it is not good enough to be certain. Do you have any unit for 382? Michael Dobbs has told me how to attach a scan so I hope to succeed this time. Michael

Frank Schofield

Micheal

Thanks for the scan, although the censor is almost unreadable but I still think it is 382
This number is only known used at the massive Taranto Transit Camp
The message suggests that the soldier is travelling home from Salonika via the Overland Route, Taranto - Cherbourg.
The written Albania note was probably added by somebody who had no knowledge of the subject, the fact it is only priced at £3 suggests it was not added to bump the price up. It is about the right price for an APO S100
Will check my Army Lists on Friday am to see if I can come up with the censors name

Frank Schofield

Frank Schofield

Michael

Found the writer of the card:-
44343 Private Alfred Beanlands of the 2nd Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers
they were in Salonika from 24th Nov 1915 until moving to France on 29th June 1918
which ties in with the date of the card
No luck with the censors signature

Frank Schofield

Michael Gould

Thank you Frank, that is indeed excellent. That he was coming by the overland route explains his comment about seeing so many of the country's sights and the delay between writing and posting. Michael