• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Help needed with this cover.

Started by Chris Weddell, March 01, 2015, 07:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

Hi all,

One for Mike i think. Can anyone tell me anything at all about this cover. 1, the double oval cancel what i think is dated and says ' BRITISH FIELD POST OFFICE ' but i am not sure and 2, anything at all about the black cachet and what it relates to.

Thanks in advance,

Chris  ???

Michael Dobbs

Hi Chris

A bit of an initial rushed response as I've a mountain of work to catch up on - but ....

This is not a military marking - it is a civil (Post Office?) of sorts marking.  The reason I say "of sorts" is I don't know if its official or bogus or an unauthorised marking of sorts - hence the delay by the postal authorities ??  From the oval mark I can make out as follows (top to bottom):

(top)
UK (space) something
BRITISH (space) FL (something)

(across centre)
ROWLAND HILL
(something or space)
CENTENARY FLIGHT

(bottom)
POST OFFICE

There is another cachet or marking upright on the white edging between the two postage stamps: BRITISH FLYING POST OFFICE which may give a clue as to the wording on the oval cachet and may give further clue to the authenticity or bogusness of the cover.

I have not come across the delayed cachet before, so I don't know what caused the 15 month delay by the British and Brazilian postal authorities. 

I will check my British Postmark Society Bulletins to see if there is a record of such cachets or genuineness of the cover.

Regards, Mike  8)

Michael Dobbs

Chris

I've just come across this web link from the Stamp magazine forum which illustrates the cachet more clearly - note who the cover is addressed to - and the writer also asks the questions I have posed:

http://www.stampmagazine.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=83443&p=39

Regards, Mike  8)

Chris Weddell

Mike,

Thanks for your help with this. Looking at the address the other cover was sent to could this mean it is real.

Chris  ;D

Peter Harvey

Hi Chris,

Not seen the delayed cachet before, however this is exactly the same font and style as used in the very similar cachet used during the initial stages of the Gulf War and during the Bosnia Crisis - John Daynes and I had lots of them. Not seen this example though.

Regards

Peter

Chris Weddell

Mike and peter,

Thanks for your help with this cover.

Chris  ::)

akennedy

Please don't mix up an obviously philatelic concoction with genuine markings referred to by Peter,.

BRITISH FLYING POST OFFICE!!!!!!

Alistair

Michael Dobbs

Chris

I totally agree with Alistair - I cannot find anything definitive on the web about these markings or what on earth the "British Flying Post Office" was all about, let alone any reason for a 15 month delay by the two postal authorities.

See also this site which offers for sale variations of: Brazil 1979 UPU Rowland Hill imperf souvenir sheet overprinted 'British Flying Post Office, Air Mail 50p' in black additionally opt'd 'Rio de Janeiro, Rowland Hill Centenary Flight' in red unmounted mint
http://www.stampdile.com/ambrowCart/shop/show_products.php?search=UPU&offset=90

I am not a stamp collector or collector of Brazil and so my knowledge goes no further !

Regards, Mike  ;D