• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Fishery Cruiser Vigilant WW1 Censored Cover

Started by Peter Harvey, January 31, 2015, 10:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Not really a collecting interest of mine, even though in poor condition, looked like a good purchase.

I have attached a picture of a rather poor cover with the cachet FISHERY CRUISER "VIGILANT" with manuscript Censored in red under the cachet and initial YEY (I think)... I can not see this in Michael Gould's book, however am not sure of the role that this ship played in WW1 and if she would have been classed as RN, or under the control of the Admiralty at the time.

From what I have found the ship was a three funnel steam cruiser owned by the Fishery Board of Scotland, I assume that during the war years she had a patrolling role?

Can anyone tell me any more?

Pete

Frank Schofield

Peter

HMS Vigilent Fishery Cruiser Special Service, is listed in the Navy Lists WW1
Built in 1886, 92 tons, used as an examination vessel. Only two c/o's in WW1 both Lt's RNR the second appointed 1.11.15. two Sub/Lt's RNR served on board the whole of the war
I make the initials T.G.F. those of the 2nd c/o Thomas G. Fraser
There were three other "Vigilent" listed, 1 a TB Destroyer the other two trawlers
Hope of some use

Frank Schofield

Peter High

There is a Vigilant listed in Dittmar & Colledge 'British Warships 1914-1919' under 'Fishery Trawlers'. Port no. A.534; gross tons:139; launched : 1902.

Regards,

Peter

Michael Gould

I think I am correct in saying that an A port number is for Aberdeen but that does mean this vessel served there - the barred circle looks like one of those found on items from the Firth of Forth (I am still unsure just where these were applied, I suspect they were not all used in Edinburgh PO). Michael

Peter Harvey

Hi,

Frank, Michael & Peter thank you for your help with this cover.

Regards