• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Field Service Post Card used Aldershot 30th May 1940

Started by Ingo Egerlandt, March 08, 2015, 12:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ingo Egerlandt

Hello again,

I have got an interresting item.

A Field Post Service Post Card, writen on 30th May 1940 and with the "Krag" machine stamp from the same day.
On reserve, the soldier wrote only the date and his name.

Normaly, I have seen a FPO or a Base Army or a Army cancellation. But here is a normal civil machine stamp on this card.

I have got 2 asks. At first, in my last note here in the forum, Mike wrote, FPO 97 are from canadians. Can these card written by the soldier form the canadian forces to, or
the other one, is these postcard written from a soldier who evacuate from Dunkirk before, and he took the card in a normal pillar box?

Thank you
Ingo

akennedy

For several weeks after the evacuation of Dunkirk, mail from the returning troops was accepted in the civilian postal system, usually unstamped with a written indication that it was an ex BEF sender.
I don't know if there was an official announcement that such mail should be acceptd without a surcharge being raised, but I would guess there must have been.
The use a Field Service postcard is unusual - perhaps held by the sender in his few remaining possessions. Alternatively perhaps supplies were available at one or more arrival ports for distribution to survivors.

Alistair

Ingo Egerlandt

Hello Alistair,

the home force mustn´t pay to, but they don´t have got a service post card. If you write, the returning troops can use the civilian postal system, than I think about for the a lot of returned soldiers it was the best and fastest.

Which indication has got the BEF sender in when he is going back to England? Must he written BEF letters with his name?

These service post card, I take in my exhibition collection.

Thank you Alistair