• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

GB Postage Due Cachets

Started by Peter Harvey, April 28, 2015, 11:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Hi, Not really a forces questions, but maybe someone can help?

I would like to buy a reference book on GB postage due cachets/ marking, in particular I am interested in the WW1 period, but not exclusively military use - general postal history, also not so much the stamps but the postal markings.

Does anyone know if there is a standard reference work on the topic?

Thank you in advance.  :)

Peter Harvey

Michael Dobbs

Peter

I have had a quick look at the Library listing on the British Postmark Society website and came across the following possibilities:

Surcharge & Explanatory Dies Catalogue; Langston; 1964;62pp
Late Fee & Too Late Stamps; Stitt Dibden; 1966; 76pp
Surcharged Mail of the British Isles; James A Mackay; 1984; 138p
UK Taxe Marks for International Mail 1875-2000; Snelson; 2007; 178pp
Unpaid & Underpaid Mail 1840-1921 England/Wales; Johnson; 1982; 32p

I cannot vouch for any of them as I have not seen them - maybe someone like Alistair may have a better understanding.

Regards, Mike  ;D

Frank Schofield

Peter
For something a bit more up to date try Bill Pipe's "Collect British Postmarks" published by S. Gibbons, there are 11 pages on Charge etc marks.
Also there are basic listings of Military APO's, FPO's (WW1), FPO's (WWII), Naval etc
Frank Schofield

Michael Dobbs

Rats - I forgot about "Collect British Postmarks" - should have known better as I have a copy !

Thanks for the reminder Frank !

Mike  ::)

Colin Tabeart

There is also Michael Furfie's "British Postage Due Mail 1914-1971 - a Study of Uses of the Pre-Decimal Postage Due Stamps". 74 pages. ISBN 0-9522208-0-5, published 1993. He suggested a second edition, but I don't know if it ever happened. Worth a look. Colin

Peter Harvey

Thank you all for your help and ideas, all of great assistance.

I have an old copy of Collect British Postmarks, maybe I should update this. Its a pity Vera Trinders moved from Covent Garden as I am there tomorrow.

I have also enquired about the most up to date book with the Postage Due Study Circle (thank you for the pointer Colin) and sent an email to Michael Furtie.

Regards Peter