• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Censor 7/ 555, used at Kazvin in 1919

Started by Graham Mark, September 19, 2015, 02:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Mark

A colleague has asked me about the cover shown here, from Indian FPO 76, at Kazvin, Persia, in August 1919.
He tells me that he has asked among collectors of Persia and drawn a blank - and that censor 7/555 has not been recorded used by them.
The signature is not the easiest to read but as a half-colonel that ought to make it a bit easier.
The offical "Operations in Persia" is not very helpful as there is little in that volume of doings of the British forces once the armistice has been signed.
My colleague will be most impressed if FPHS members can identify the signing officer and even more so if more reports of 7/555 can be provided.
As the scans I have received are too big for this site and I do not know how to reduce them (bitwise) I will have to put one side of the cover with this message and the other as a separate message.
Graham

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Graham

Slingsby records IFPO No 76 used at Kasvin 15 1 19 - (23 5 19) which extends the recorded use.   Served 36th Indian Brigade Units.
Pround records use into 1921

Censor 7/555 falls in a block 549 - 560 allocated to Civil censorship North Persian Force, however 549 550 558 559 560 only allocated.
1st January 1919 force in North Persia taken over by General Milne, 15th Jan 39th Indian Brigade taken over by 27th division.

Control reverted to GOC Mespot 15th August 1919,  See pages 96 / 97 Postal History of the Army of the Black Sea. North Persian Force

Various units listed, these are the relevant one's

1st Battn 42nd Deoli Regiment, 2 6 19 to 14 8 19 and after transfer to GOC Mespot?

186th Machine Gun Co, No 1 Secrtion Feb 19 to 14.8.19 afterwards ?

See page 174

Won't type any more in case times out.

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Graham

Have you mangaed any further progress on this one? I think this is certainly military usage.

I can confirm that 7/549 & 7/559 were used to censor civilain mail in this period,  7/549 seen in a recent list and I've found two covers censored 7/559.

Through your contact I'd appreciate details of any other covers he or fellow Persian collecters may have in this period, J S writes about this period but dosn't illustrate anything.

I hope in time to produce an update or supplement to John's book.

Cheers

Chris