• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Help Required WW1 envelope ( deserter )

Started by Andrew Tott, October 09, 2015, 10:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Tott

I am trying to complete the write-up for this envelope but come to a bit of a dead end.
The envelope was posted in England on 14th October 1915 in Finsbury Park, Middlesex and sent to.
11499 Pte Parker.
11 platoon. C company. 1st Middlesex Regt.
British Expeditionary Force.
France.
But it has a strange cachet ' PRESENT LOCATION UNCERTAIN ' stamped across the address then in the top left corner written in pencil is the word 'Wounded ' with what looks like a signature but unable to work that out.
On the back of the envelope is a Field Post Office mark for 18 OCT but cant make out any more on this but should be 1915.
I found out he was wounded around the 27th September 1915 with a gun shot wound to his left hand as he was admitted to hospital on this date, but also on this date he was added to the sick convoy.
Does any one know what this means, was that the date he went onto the hospital ship.
The hospital ship he sailed on was called St David but have not been able to find much out, looking for any dates for this ship, where it sailed from and to.
Private Parker deserted on the 18th October 1915 some three weeks or so after being wounded, with this information I assume that he deserted once back in England.
My question is how would be the best way to write this up.
I am quite new to the writing up the presentation and not sure how much information to put on any write-ups.
Also if anyone can help with details about the hospital ship and where I might find information regarding sailing dates or any other information.
But mainly how to write it up as there is a lot of information, but I know that you can sometime put to much information and sometime not enough, any help would be a great help.
Many thanks,
Andy

Chris Weddell

Andrew,

Sorry i am a bit late on this. I have a card sent from the hospital ship St David which is undated. I know she at last was serving as a hospital ship from the 24th of August 1914 to late 1916 and most likely later. I think she was mainly working the France to England crossing. From the 24th of August 1914 untill the 3rd of September she and her sister ships did 9 trips from Le Havre or Rouen to Southhampton and brought over 3000 wounded home. My card does not say where her trip started but it does say she was going to Dover.

Hope this is of a little help.

Chris.

akennedy

At the time of writing, 1st Middlesex was in 19th Brigade, so the unclear datestamp was probably FPO 19.

Alistair