• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

FPO 31, October 1939 with STO 43 mark

Started by Nick Colley, October 27, 2015, 09:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Colley

Folks, if you care to inspect the attached, you will see an item postmarked FPO 31 in October 1939. It bears in addition a naval type censor which appears to be Daynes N642, and an octagonal mark S.T.O 43, struck in a very similar, if not identical ink to the N642 mark.

The S.T.O. presumably stands for Sea Transport Office(r) (unless someone knows/thinks differently).

The question is, therefore: do we have any knowledge about where FPO 31 was at this time - presumably somewhere on the French coast ? In addition, does anyone have insider information about what used N642 ? If so, that might cast some light on the location.

Oh, and finally, does anyone have any idea what the significance is (if any) of the number 43 ?

Thanks a lot !

Nick

akennedy

FPO 31 was at Dieppe.
Can't help with rest of query.

Alistair

Nick Colley

Excellent, Alistair, many thanks. I'll write it up as evidence that N642 was used in the Sea Transport Office at Dieppe.

chrs
N

Michael Dobbs

Nick

I think we can agree that STO stands for Sea Transport Officer - I came across this web reference to the sale of 13 medals belonging to Commander K. Michell, Royal Navy in DNW Auction on 12 December 2012:
http://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/special-collections/lot.php?specialcollection_id=108&lot_id=88089

This stated: Recalled on the renewal of hostilities in September 1939, he was appointed Sea Transport Officer (S.T.O.) at Dieppe, but returned to take up an appointment at Portsmouth in April 1940. Then in the following year he joined the Staff of the Senior Naval Officer in Athens, which appointment led to his subsequent awards of the D.S.O. and second D.S.C.

There is also another reference to Sea Transport Officer here:
http://www.doverwarmemorialproject.org.uk/Casualties/WWII/Maid%20of%20Kent.pdf

Cheers, Mike  ;)

Nick Colley

Crikey, what an extraordinary human being was Commander Mitchell. The phrase 'spherical objects made of brass' comes to mind. How overwhelmingly sad that his descendants found it necessary to sell not only his group, but his son's group as well.

I'll add one or two details to my write up, Mike, so thanks for that.

chrs
N

Peter Harvey

Nick,

As the cover is addressed to the famous military tailor Gieves, I thought the cachet might mean Sold to Order (waist) 43" ;D

Will we ever know?

Pete

Michael Dobbs

Pete

LOL  ::)    ;D

But surely it means Standard Trouser Order (Waist 43)

Mike  :)

Nick Colley

Stroll on, you two, who writes YOUR script ? I'd sack him if I were you.

;D

adios
N