• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

WW1 Northern Patrol

Started by Colin Tabeart, February 18, 2016, 03:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Tabeart

Dear Members,
I am trying to work out where the two double ring CENSORED NORTHERN PATROL markings were applied. These are Dr Gould's 2A16 and 2A17 markings. Would be very grateful if anyone has covers with either or both markings if they could send me scans please - so as not to clutter up the forum please send direct to colintabeart@btinternet.com If member have any covers that they believe to be to or from the Northern Patrol but with other cancels I would be equally glad to receive scans.
Many thanks. Colin

jleathes

On their way    John Leathes

Tony Walker

Tony Walker

Colin

I have a list of 39 ships (AMC's) who were on the Northern Patrol at some time during the war, but I don't suppose the list is definitive.  Of the 39 ships I have items from 18 of them, but I have not checked whether at the time the covers/cards were mailed, the ship was on the Northern Patrol. Might take a while if you wanted scans of all these.

Happy to give you the list if you haven't already got it.

Cheers
Tony

Frank Schofield

Colin

You may try a find a copy of ARMED MERCHANT CRUISERS 1878-1945
by Osbourne, Sprong and Glover, Published by World Ship Society in 2007
Very good coverage of all the Ships and their service and patrols

Frank Schofield

jleathes

Further to my last I have a copy of Keble Chattertons book "The Big Blockade" and also the Navy Records Society 700+ page tome on the blockade ship movements etc. Happy to look things up for particular vessels times etc should this be useful

jleathes

I have had a look at my small lot of NP(20+ covers) and also uncovered some notes made some years ago. In "The Maritime Blockade of Germany (MBG) there would appear to be about 90+vessels mentioned and of these 36 are mentioned in Gould. The 90 are only the tip of the iceberg as many vessels served for years without ever getting a mention in MPG.
The old cruiser "Gibraltar" became the Base ship at the forward operational base at Swarbacks Minn in August 1915 and her orders mention that "Fleet Mail Steamers" called twice a week to collect and deliver mail and that letters were not to be posted ashore at Brae and Voe POs.

Has anyone any info on these Fleet Mail Steamers who apparently ran to a schedule laid down in Grand (General ?) Fleet Orders (GFOs). I am trying the NHB to see if they have a copy of GOS and also anything on the mail steamers