• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

1914 Cover - BEF to Australia

Started by rwelland, February 11, 2016, 03:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwelland

I bought the attached cover together with the letter that was in. The addressee is Lady Helen Munro-Ferguson, the wife of the Governor-General of Australia and the sender is one of her brothers serving with the 9th Lancers which matches the Passed By Censor 8 according to Frank Daniel's list.
However, the APO 40 is not one which is assigned to either the 2nd Cavalry Brigade or the 1st Cavalry Division. Kennedy & Crabb list APO 40 as Army Troops? and Proud lists it as HQ 1 Corps. Can anybody resolve this difference, please?
The other problem I have is how did this letter get to London?  There are two London Official Paid markings which suggests it was carried to London with official mail, rather than through normal channels.  Again, I would be grateful for any help with explaining this.

Graham Mark

Hello Ray
From FM French's despatch dated 8 Oct 14:
[20 Sept 14] "As the troops of the First Army Corps were much exhausted by this continual fighting, I reinforced Sir D Haig with a brigade from the reserve, and called upon the 1st Cavalry Division to assist them".

This is towards the end of the Battle of the Aisne.
So an officer of 9 Lancers could well have handed in his letter at Haig's I Corps HQ.

It certainly appears that your letter was brought to London by an official messenger.  I have seen a number of covers and references in letters from 2CavDiv and 29Div to letters going to and fro by official messenger - sometimes referred to as "King's Messengers" but I believe that few of them were real "Greyhounds", most would be officers on the War Office strength.
I hope this helps.
Graham

rwelland

Graham - thank you that's very helpful.
Ray

akennedy

HQ I Corps was definitely APO 41. (Followed by  II Corps APO 42 and III corps APO 43).

APO 40 recordings include some censor marks occurring subsequently with FPO AT1 - therefore Army Troops.

Alistair

rwelland

Thank you very much for the clarification re APOs 40 and 41.
Ray