• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Postcard from Twickenham to Vienna. Cancellation from 31th August 1940

Started by Ingo Egerlandt, February 28, 2016, 06:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ingo Egerlandt

Hi members,

I found a postcard with "Krag" machine cancellation Twickenham 31th August 1939 8,-- PM. This postcard is written from a son, who lives in Twickenham and wrote to his Mother in Vienna in german language.

This postcard has got the violett rubber handstamp "No Service / Return to Sender", and goes back to Twickenham with red initials and striked adress.

I mean, this postcard was not travel outside England. Why, because the war began for GB 4 days later, send the post office this postcard back?

Picture comes soon.

Ingo

Alan Baker

Is there anything on the reverse of the envelope which might help?

Michael Dobbs

Alan

It's a postcard and Ingo has shown both sides !!!!  ;D

I'm not sure when we ceased our postal service to Austria.

Mike

Alan Baker

Oh yeah! Wondered if you would spot that! Sorry Ingo

By this time the Austrian postal service had been subsumed into the Reichspost. The card was posted on a Thursday evening and the following day Germany invaded Poland, a matter of hours after this card entered the postal system. Presumably, as soon as the invasion took place, all postal services to Germany (and therefore Austria) were suspended

Ingo Egerlandt

Hi Alan,
Austria was Ostmark in the 3rd Reich in this time and the war began for GB three days later. I think about the British Post don't stop the postal Service before the war began.

Interesting is the words on reverse about the peace in this time. They hope for peace. And few hours later began the German polish war.

Ingo