• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

WW2: 53rd Light Regiment

Started by Michael Dobbs, May 04, 2016, 07:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

This is one for someone who has access to Ancestry (I think!)

A neighbour has asked for help in trying to identify where her father served in WW2 - I suggested that I might be able to get some help from members who had access to Ancestry.com - I don't know what information is available from such a site, so you'll tell me if I am right or not!

Details as follows:
Leonard Arthur Collings - d.o.b. 10 May 1917; deceased 26 August 1993
Army No 7908017, rank not known but thought to be a tank driver
Possibly with A Squadron, 53rd Light Regiment (7th Armoured Division?)

According to my researches into 21 Army Group Orders of Battle there was no 53rd Light Regiment listed under 7th Armoured Division.  53rd Light Regiment is listed as a Royal Artillery regiment, part of Worcester Yeomanry - but how can there be a tank driver with an artillery regiment?  Can anyone shed any light on this.

Thanks for your help in this please.

Regards, Mike  :D

Frank Schofield

Mike

Might be a self propelled gun, on a tank chassis???

FrankSchofield

Chris Weddell

Mike

I have had a look on ancestry.co.uk and forces war records and have not had any luck so far. The birth and death dates are right but so far I cannot find his medal index card which I should be seeing. I will have a better look later.

Cheers

Chris  :)

Michael Dobbs

Chris

Many thanks for your help.

Frank - quite possibly, hadn't thought of that.

Mike  :)

Ross Debenham

Frank
I was wondering if this could be 53rd Anti Tank, as i believe that Anti Tanks Regiments were listed among the  "Light" regiments in WW2. I could be wrong but i hope it may help.