• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

military terminology, sudan ww2

Started by Ross Debenham, August 29, 2016, 01:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I include a scan of the rear of a cover from one J D Goring-Johnston, commanding officer of the 6 M.I. Company, Western Arab Force, located at Nyala, Sudan. When looking up google I noted that his rank is listed as Bimb. Can any member help me as to what this abbreviation stands for. Also it believe the M.I. denotes Motorised Infantry, is that correct

Ross Debenham

Sorry about that everybody, after thinking about this i believe that the M.I. must stand for Mounted Infantry as i believe that they were camel corps. Is that correct?

ehall

Bimb is probably BIMBASHI

BIMBASHI of Turkish origin and used by Egypt up to WWII(?). Sudan was nominally part of Egypt.
The equivalent rank is Major or sometimes as Lieutenant Colonel.

See.
http://www.melik.org.uk/articles/soldiers-of-the-nile/ranks-in-the-egyptian-army/

Ta.Ed.

Michael Dobbs

Ross

It would be useful to know the date of the cover.

In another context MI stands for Military Intelligence.

Are the initials within the boxed CENSORED cachet S.D.F ?  In which case they could stand for Sudan Defence Force ?

Regards, Mike

Ross Debenham

Thanks gents
I believe the postal date is 7 October, 1943, but the post mark is not of good quality and i could be wrong. After examining the censor mark under the magnifying glass i am sure it read S.D.F. 7 so i am sure it belongs to Sudan Defence Force.

Ross D