• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

NAVAL CENSORS INDIAN OCEAN WW2

Started by Ross Debenham, July 14, 2016, 06:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I just recently picked up a lot of covers from a member of the RANVR based in the Indian Ocean. Attached is a scan of one of the covers censored at Naval Establishment No. 6, which if the pencil notification on the back of the envelope is to be believed was on the Island of Ceylon. There are also covers from Establishments 9, 11, 32 and 48, which seems strange as the officer appears to have been attached to the FMO in Kilindini, attached to ML1082. There are also covers censored in East Africa. Can any member/s help me to identify where these envelopes were censored.

Thank you
Ross Debenham

Frank Schofield

Ross

The cover is signed by Sub/Lt R Gregory, RANVR, based at HMS Lanka, Shore Base, Colombo, I suspect No 6 may be the base censor

Frank Schofield

Ross Debenham

Thanks Frank
I take it that these type of censor markers were only ever used in Ceylon, is that correct.

Ross D

Frank Schofield

Ross

All my pencil notes in John Daynes book over the years seem to indicate that is the case,and only used in Ceylon

Frank

Ross Debenham

Thanks Frank
You haven't got any idea where i might pick up that work have you. Although this Sub-Lieutenant was initially at HMS Lanka He seems to have ended up all over the Indian Ocean as I have covers from FMO Kilindini, Madras in india and various other unidentified institutions or ships. I know he was most probably evacuated to Kilindini along with the majority of the non essential staff on Ceylon, but it would be interesting to know

Ross /d

Frank Schofield

Ross

I got the info on Gregory from WWII Navy Lists

Frank

Michael Dobbs

Ross

I think that the "John Daynes book" to which Frank refers is "World War Two Censor Marks" Edited by John Daynes and published by the FPHS in 1984 - now out of print, and Nick Colley is working on a revised edition (likely to be an e-edition, i.e. electronic, like his recent RAF censor book).

However, if you wish an existing copy now, please try Peter High in case either he has got a copy or else he is able to produce a re-print.  Peter's contact details can be found on our Programme Card or in the Society Newsletter sent out with the Journal.

Regards, Mike

Ross Debenham

Thanks for the help, gents.

Ross D

Ross Debenham

I have just discovered on google that this member of the RANVR was 2IC on HTML for 7 months from March, 1943 to October, 1943. His service number was S/V78

Ross D

Michael Dobbs

Ross

Are you sure its HTML ? and not HDML - Harbour Defence Motor Launch ?

To me HTML is an IT term standing for - Hyper Text Markup Language

I could be wrong !

Regards, Mike  ???

Ross Debenham

Sorry about that Mike, I have been looking at too many computer screens. I forget to say that this boat was a part of the 110th HDML Flotilla which was originally heading for Malaya, but whether it made it there i do not know. I guess it didnt.

Ross D

Nick Colley

Hi, chaps,

Yes, there is indeed a 2nd Edition of the John Daynes book. You can have an electronic copy (in pdf format) now, for £35 + cost of the memory stick and postage. This version will have all the (new) illustrations in colour, of course. The paper copy will be available in a few weeks for £50+ p&p, but that will only be in monochrome. Let me know if you'd like the electronic copy ?

And finally, to reinforce Frank's observations about the N700 series of marks: there is still no evidence that they were used anywhere but Ceylon. Or Sri Lanka, if you prefer :-)

chrs
N