• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

WWI censor mark 4634

Started by Michael Dobbs, September 25, 2016, 10:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received the following query:

[color=maroon]I have three postcards from WW1, dated 24th November 1917, and 21st and 26th January 1918, all with the same rectangular censor stamp No. 4634. My grandfather, who sent them, was in the Royal Garrison Artillery. Do you have any reference works which would associate that censor stamp at those dates with a particular unit or location?
I would be very grateful for any information you can give me.[/color]

I believe this relates to Type CM6 censor.  I have asked for scans and also details of postmarks.

Thanks, Mike  :)

Michael Dobbs

I have since been advised of further information regarding the postmarks and one of the censoring officers:

[color=maroon]I hadn't considered the post-marks - I'm very new at this!  The card dated 24 NO 17 also says: ARMY POST OFFICE S. 42
while the two cards dated 22 JA 18 and 26 JA 18 say ARMY POST OFFICE S. 71

There are three different Officers' signatures in pencil on the three cards.  The one that is clearest to read seems to lead to a Temporary 2nd Lt called Alexander McHardy Donald, who has a personal file at Kew in the WO374 series.  That may also be a way forward, and could be used for cross-referencing.  I'll keep you informed.[/color]

Kennedy & Crabb state that S.42 was Third Army Depot, South Albert) whilst S.71 was Corps Troops - both in France.

Regards, Mike  ;)

Graham Mark

The censor marks at this time were issued on a scatter gun system, so the only way of tracing a location and unit is to identify the officer's signature.
Then if he was a temporary officer "for the duration" his career details and units in which he served are not easy to find - he will not be in the quarterly Army List.
Graham