• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

RAF mail from France

Started by Jim Etherington, September 29, 2016, 12:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Etherington

Sorry for a second query on the same day.

I have a cover addressed to RAF Depot Middle East, Egypt which I am assuming has originated from France, the front bearing a RAF censor No 166.

The back bears a MPO receiving cancel dated 14 JA 40, but also a London wavy line dated 6 Jan 40.

Again this raises a number of questions.

1. Why didn't it pass through an APO? (ie the cover does not bear a FPO cancel)
2. Did this mail go to Egypt via London?
3. Was the cover sent from France (Colley lists what appears to be a very similar cover - Undated with Censor  106 and London S W 1 M/c dated 6 Jan 40 to RAF Dept MEF. MPO arrival mark 15 Jan 40.)

Any idea?

Thank you
Jim

Nick Colley

See my reply to your other question, Jim.

I would say  that this particular cover must have travelled via London in order for it to acquire the London postmark.

As for why it didn't go into the postal system via an army post office, well, who knows ? Convenience, perhaps ? Maybe the APO was too far away. It occurs to me it was a bad winter, 1939-40, so maybe the (French) roads were impassable with snow ? In contrast, an aerodrome would have lots of manpower to keep a runway open.  :)

I regret resorting to speculation, but as I indicated in my earlier response, it would probably take much labour in archives of uncertain location to establish what arrangements were in place for RAF mail, labour which, sadly, no one has  expended so far.

chrs