• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Portuguese Army in Britain in WWI

Started by Alan Baker, October 18, 2016, 09:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

I have attached a scan showing two items. The first is part of a page of the Illustrated London News, dated 29th September, 1917. This shows Portuguese troops in England training for the Western Front.

The second item is a card I bought at Banstead. It is from Portugal and is addressed to a Portuguese Artillery officer at Hazeley Down Camp, Winchester in October 1917.

In all the (scanty) references to the Portuguese army in WWI, I have not come across any relating to troops spending time in England. Indeed, they seem to have been left to languish on the Western Front, without any chance of relief.

Any information would be welcome, especially if anyone has mail from Portuguese troops in England

akennedy

I am not aware of any Portuguese troops in Britain other than artillery

Alistair

Michael Dobbs

Alan

The caption on the photo does not say that the Portuguese troops are in England - it states that they are in a British Training Camp which could mean such a camp in France, unless you have more text that states otherwise  - whoops, just seen the heading above the photo, so please ignore this !

Mike  ;) ;D