• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Allied Forces Germany 1945 - 49 Postage rates

Started by Peter Harvey, October 31, 2016, 07:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Any inquiry by telephone from a possible new member today and I did not have the answer, any help appreciated.

I was asked if there was either a publication, or if any articles had be printed relating to the postage rates for the allies in the period to 1949 in Germany.... Don't think I have seen a book, but any help would be appreciated.

Regards Peter

Nick Colley

Hi, Pete,

I've just scanned through the Library list for Germany, and note:

The Postal Administration of Occupied Germany under the Control Commission (British Zone), PRO list of files held
(Source Sheet No 35), 1993, 8pp, p/b (GER30)

and

Postwar Years of Germany 1945-48, Dr HF Stich and W Stich, 270pp, p/b, German (GER19)

I've no idea if they'd be of any help, but if your enquirer pays his/her membership, he/she can borrow them and find out  ;)

in haste
N

Michael Dobbs

Peter

As far as I am aware no book or article has been published on the subject.  I have been doing some research on British rates in the Post Office Archives - I'll try and find the time to compile a summary (can get quite complicated as there were different rates from HM Forces and to HM Forces - only the Forces).

Mike  ???

Peter Harvey

Mike/Nick,

Thank you for this effort, much appreciated. Like most prospective members this chap is a member of a number of other societies and I would think once you add them all up, you have to think about costs and benefits.

I shall pass the point back and let you know if I manage to get a new member?

Pete

Ingo Egerlandt

Hi Peter,
postwar is not military post. This is propaganda about westeurope and easterneurope. GDR not accepted some stamps from germany and kill the stamps with black ink and send return to sender.

Berlins has got a nice cancel. GDR wrote "Lernt vom großen Stalin, lernt vom Sozialismus....!" West Berlin note with the red handstamp " .... und was dabei herausgekommen ist!"

Postage rates: I have got some envelopes from Düsseldorf, Hanover, Berlin and Hamburg. Al these envelopes without stamps, but it was OHMS. These must be free. Soldier private post...they must pay 3 p in the 70th and later 5 p.

Ingo