• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

East African APO locations

Started by Nick Guy, February 02, 2017, 10:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Guy

I raised the question of the location of EA APO 84 in a thread a few months ago and this led to more general comments on other APO locations.

I was looking at

Military censor markings,1939-1945, and related air mail services (I.O.S.C. Seychelles, no.9.)
Fitton, KB.  Indian Ocean Study Circle, June 1993

(for another thread in the forum) and noticed that Keith Fitton lists EA APO 84 unequivocally at Mombasa  - interesting since my original question arose because the History of the East African Army Postal Service by Stuart Rossiter, edited by E B Proud said Mombasa in one place and Nairobi in another.  However, Keith Fitton says APO 89 was at Kisumu - which was one that as I noted Rossiter had elsewhere assigned to Nairobi with a high degree of confidence!

Nick Guy

Ross Debenham

Hi Nick
I can live with APO84 being at Mombasa as the only copy of have is for a post card received at Kilindini Naval Base and re-directed back to London. I believe Kilindini was near Mombasa. As for APO 89 the only example I have is an envelope censored using VI/01 censor marker supposedly used in Lusaka, Uganda. It was from the 78 (EA) African Entertainment Unit.

Ross D