• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

306 (EA) Field Regiment.

Started by Ross Debenham, March 14, 2017, 03:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

Find attached an air letter post marked East African Army Post Office 79, which was used by 11 (EA) Division Postal Unit. The sender of the letter was a member of 306 (EA) Field Regiment which according to the order of battle was not attached to this division in Burma/ India. I believe that this regiment was dispatched to replace 301(EA) Regiment which was virtually decimated when the Khedive Ismael was torpedoed of the Maldives on route to India/Burma. I have another cover on the way from the same regiment in India. Can any member assist me in finding out when this regiment arrived in India/Burma or if they have any covers from that regiment.

Thank you

Ross

Ross Debenham

To add to this mystery I attach a scan of another air letter from another member of this regiment this time date stamped at No.16 Advance Indian Base Post Office, the location of such I know not where. It is dated 5 December, 1944, so it appears that the regiment had not yet joined up with the rest of the division. Can anybody help me with the location of this B.P.O.

Frank Schofield

Ross

According to Proud, No. 16 Advance Base Post Office, was at Imphal in India 9th Jan 44 until 1st Apr 1945

Frank Schofield

Ross Debenham

Thanks Frank
As no East Africa post marker appears on the envelope I believe the Regiment, perhaps had not yet joined up with the division.