• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Canadian Military Mail

Started by Alan Baker, March 16, 2017, 09:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

I am attaching a scan of a cover I have from MPO 202 Camp Borden, Ontario, posted in 1943 to Bristol

My question is whether anyone can offer a suggestion as to the meaning of the initials C.P.C. in the sender's address. The best I can find so far is Canadian Postal Corps.

Any ideas?

Michael Dobbs

Alan

Canadian Postal Corps would be my first thought.  Then there are the letters (T.C.) in brackets.  If CPC in Canadian Postal Corps could the letters TC stand for Train, Canadian (i.e. Ration Point FPO) ?  Each Canadian Division had a Ration Point FPO designated TC1, TC2 and TC3.

That just leaves A32 - is that a vessel designation or a reinforcement draft designation ?  Don't know the answer at the moment.  I am aware that in 1940 troopships were designated using 'E' prefix numbers, as in Transport Exx.

Another unusual item - is he writing back to his parents in the UK ?  I would have thought if he was Canadian his parents would be in Canada.  Or is he a British officer seconded to Canada ?

Sorry, more questions than answers  ;D

Mike

ChristchurchPS

Alan/Mike

Mr Google says on militarybruce.com a history of Camp Borden;

Canadian Provost Corps [A32]

best wishes

Robert Duns

Alan Baker

Many thanks. I had looked at that site but didn't spot that. What do we think the TC stands for?

Michael Dobbs

I was obviously trying too hard !

I had difficulty in accessing the site identified by Robert (certainly through my Firefox browser) - everything other than the front page was gibberish.  I eventually accessed it through Internet Explorer and as Robert states this shows the entry

A32 Canadian Provost Corps Training Centre – Camp Borden

So there we have it: Camp (?) A32; CPC indicating Canadian Provost Corps and (TC) indicating Training Centre and located at Camp Borden which fits in with the postmark.

I don't really know what the A32 signifies as there are two other A32's listed:
A32 Canadian Army Medical Corps Training Centre – Peterborough (1943-1945)
A32 Canadian Infantry Training Centre – Peterborough (1945)

Incidently the site author (Bruce Forsyth) is not our own Sir Bruce "Nice to see you, to see you nice" Forsyth !

Mike  ;D

usjoeden

Alan!

According to [i]Canadian Military Postal Markings [/i]by W.J. Bailey and E.R Toop, volume 2, page 766 the C.P.C stands for [b]Canadian Postal Corps[/b].

Regards,
Ulf

Michael Dobbs

Strictly speaking Ulf is correct - the official abbreviation for Canadian Provost Corps is C Pro C: "In mid June, 1940, the Canadian Provost Corps ( C Pro C ) was officially born." Taken from http://home.mweb.co.za/re/redcap/canada.htm and http://www.canadianprovostcorps.ca/history.htm

However, in this case the sender has abbreviated it more to just CPC - but everything else points to A32 Canadian Provost Corps Training Centre – Camp Borden.

However, I cannot find out anything as yet as to why training centres were numbered in A series or why there were three different A32 training centres !

Mike

ChristchurchPS

A further avenue to explore - in our postal museum we have a shoulder flash[ era unknown] - see scan - of the Royal Canadian Postal Service, and I have seen brass badges advertised on ebay with the 'Royal" prefix.
A check of google or ebay might show if both of the units had the 'Royal" prefix and when it was granted.

Robert Duns

Michael Dobbs

Robert

Too easy - The Canadian Postal Corps was redesignated The Royal Canadian Postal Corps on 20 June 1961

Mike  8)