• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

FPO in Burma ???

Started by Susan McEwen, March 26, 2017, 08:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Susan McEwen

From James Song, collector of Burma, and mutual friend:
[color=blue]"I came across this BFPO cover used in Myamyo dated 10 April 1942 when the British was retreating from Rangoon.
This BFPO 198 postmark was used on Burma stamps. I checked with Ted Proud's Book but BFPO 189 was stated used in Egypt .[/color]"
Forwarded to Andy Gould of the Egypt Study Circle, he kindly replied:
[color=green]"Thank you for sending this through - an interesting item to research.

As you mention, FPO 198 was used in Egypt - at the Moascar base just outside Ismailia until July 1941 certainly, possibly later.  The censor mark is of a type used in Egypt and around the Mediterranean - I do not know of its use elsewhere and your suggestion that the mail may have been censored in Egypt sounds plausible.  If I find anything else about that happening on a broader scale, I'll come back to you.

Ted Proud's Burma book (page 918) confirms that the 7th Armoured Brigade was part of the military presence in Burma in April 1942,  On page 919 he confirms that the Burma Base Post Office was at Maymyo from 1st March to 20th April 1942 when it moved to Swebo.  The presence of the Field Post Office however is not recorded, until now...?"
[/color]

Has anyone got any information on this FPO being used in Burma ?  or thoughts on where it was censored ?

Many thanks

Michael Dobbs

Susan

I cannot provide definitive answers to the main question asked, but I can certainly provide information which may well assist.

The sender give his unit as 7 Arm Bde LRS RAOC - this is almost certainly 7th Armoured Brigade Light Repair Section RAOC.

In 1942 7th Armoured Brigade was moved to Burma - it arrived at Rangoon in the February and was involved in the retreat through Burma to India during that year. It moved back to the Middle East in 1943.

A typed listing of (British) Field Post Office datestamps used during WW2 - a listing I have had for many years and one I think a number of early FPHS members had, but I do not know its origin other than it appears to have been compiled from various datestamp returns during WW2.  I am almost certain that Proud also had a copy when he produced his "History of British Army Postal Service, Vol III - 1927-1963".  The listing shows for FIELD POST OFFICE 198 datestamp:

16 Nov 39  5 L of C
  7 May 40  5 L of C MEF
  ? Jan 42  Left MEF

Proud records the 7 May 40 and Jan 42 dates and locations in his Volume III.

The story of 7th Armoured Brigade in Burma can be found here: http://www.desertrats.org.uk/bde/7thAB1942.htm

It is possible that useful information can be found in the Brigade HQ War Diary held in The National Archives at Kew: WO172/560 7 Armoured Brigade: HQ Feb-Aug 1942

My theory (and as always I stand to be corrected if proved wrong) is that a postal unit serving 7th Armoured Brigade had the datestamp and left Egypt for Burma - hence the recording cancelling Burma stamps on 10 AP 42.  If the censor mark is of Egyptian origin it is possible that the unit censor took it with him to Burma (possibly against instructions or because he had not been issued with a new censor stamp).  So it is possible that this is a new recording of the datestamp in its new location in Burma (after all the datestamp is recorded as having left MEF in January 1942) - and the cover clearly indicates it was in Burma (postage stamps and senders address).  It is quite possible for a censor stamp issued to the unit to be taken to Burma as well.  That is my theory.

Mike  ;)

Susan McEwen

Thank you Mike !
very speedy - I'll forward to  James in Singapore, It'll certainly help him with the unit information.

best regards

Susan

akennedy

Susan

A lovely cover!

The story was well told in FPHS Journal 279,which you can show to James, if you have that copy. Alternatively he might wish to buy a copy.

Briefly, 7th Armoured Brigade, including 7th Hussars, left Egypt in January 1942 to go westward towards the advancing Japanese the destination turned out to be Rangoon.
Before departing the Brigade FPO was issued with a datestamp of FPO 198, earlier use in Egypt not being relevant here.
FPO 198 accompanied the brigade throughout its time in Burma.

The Brigade advanced against the Japanese through the whole length of Burma (destroying their tanks on the way) eventually reaching Assam (partly by river steamer) in May.

Burmese stamps were used during the period in Burma.

The type A3 square censor censor stamp had presumably been issued to the unit using it in Egypt. An A5 crowned circle censor stamp was in use.

FPO 189 has been mentioned in posts here but is totally irrelevant, presumably on mail from the brigade while in Egypt.

Alistair

Michael Dobbs

[u]Alistair[/u]: Thank you very much for the reference to the article by yourself and the late John Daynes in Journal 279 - an excellent article which provides all the answers.

I think the reference to FPO 189 in the original request was a typo for 198.

I still feel that the Type A3 squared censor was taken to Burma and used there on this particular cover (10 AP 42) - it may be that the RAOC LRS had this censor mark and had not been issued with a Type A5 crowned circle.

[u]Susan[/u]: you can download the relevant Journal from our online Journal Archive - just follow the link for the Spring 2017 Journal and select Archive from the drop down menu.

Mike

akennedy

Mike

I agree with your comments re A3 censor.
I was running out of library computer time yesterday so could not expand on what I had written.
Alistair

Susan McEwen

Thank you Mike + Alistair  :)

have downloaded the journal and will have a good read, as well as telling James about it.

regards Susan