• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Maurice Ewbank HMS Birkenhead WW1

Started by Tony Walker, July 05, 2017, 10:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

I have a WW1 cover, undated with standard 8 barred circle cancel, and censor mark from HMS Birkenhead, the latter being Gould's 5C17, known from several ships

Included is a letter from Maurice Ewbank, who I have managed to trace sparsely. Born Cockermouth 28.11.1884. Number 002129 Sub Lt 21.1.11, Commander (retired) 1.4.13.  This is little help in trying to date the letter which is on HMS Birkenhead
headed notepaper addressed to Miss Eileen Thorndike, 60 Upper Parliament Street Liverpool

Can anyone pinpoint the likely year?

The letter (a very romantic one indeed) is to Miss Eileen Thorndike (1891 - 1954), an actress and well established stage director, sister of the famous Dame Sybil Thorndike.  It seems Ewbank married Eileen Thorndike, but I cannot find out when.  Certainly the letter suggests a strong and established relationship.  He could be using her (unmarried) stage name although they were married, or alternatively they had not married when the letter was written.  I fancy the former.
The letter refers to them being together in 5 months time i.e. March 191-?.  Also to Eileen being by far the dearest friend he has at present. He also refers to a friend thinking of joining the Australian navy who are looking for men - suggesting the war is not close to ending

it is a fascinating item, just the kind I like, but I'm stuck now.  Help welcomed

Frank Schofield

Tony
I do not know where you got the information on this officer, but Sub/Lt to Cdr in two years, I don't think so, did Royal Navy Officers have numbers? 
Maurice Ewbank.
15.1.04 Midshipman RNR (Merchant Marine)
21.1.11 Sub/Lt RNR
21.1.13 Lieut RNR
1.4.13 Lieut RN appt HMS Liverpool 3.5.13
30.7.15 Lieut RN appt to HMS Birkenhead still on her in Apr 1918
July 1918 Lieut in Command HMS Heliotrope
1921 Lt/Cdr on HMS Conquest
1926 No ship listed.  1936 Not listed in the Navy List
Hope of some use
Frank Schofield

Tony Walker

Thanks Frank, as always. I probably miss-read the details on Ewbank from the internet

You have narrowed the date of the letter to between 30.7.15 to  -. 7.18.  I forgot to mention, Ewbank noted Thursday October 5th in his letter.  It may narrow the date down if I can find one of those tables which enables one to check back on days and dates.

I'd like to know when they got married - if anyone has access to an ancestry website?

Tony Walker

Tony Walker

The only Thursday 5th October between 1916 and 1918 would appear to be 1916 - so can date the cover
thanks Frank
Tony

Frank Schofield

Tony

According to the first Philatelic booklet I bought over 50 years ago priced 10/-, can confirm Thursday 5th October was 1916

Frank Schofield

Nick Colley

Married September 1918, according to http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0861339/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm.

chrs
N

Tony Walker

Frank, Nick - Forum comes up trumps again

Cheers
Tony

Alan Baker

According to the website of the Dreadnought Project, he was appointed captain of HMS Mistley, a Hunt Class minesweeper, in December 1923 in the rank of Lt CDR.