• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Gould WW1 naval censor 3B25

Started by Nick Colley, July 24, 2017, 12:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Colley

Folks, I attach a scan of a reasonably-promising copy of 3B25. However, disappointingly, I can find no match to the name(s) I've interpreted from the signature in any of my Navy Lists. I've tried A.S.Carly and A.S.Carey. If anyone interprets a different name (and has a larger reference library than I do), then do please contribute to nailing this mark to a vessel !  :)

I ought to add that there are no marks on the back, and the only indication of a date is a manuscript endorsement, in pencil, on the reverse: 8 Feb/15. It is in a script which does NOT match either the censor's signature, nor the hand which wrote the address. It may not be reliable.

chrs
N

Frank Schofield

Nick

Checked all my WW1 Navy lists. None with the name Carly
Plenty of Carey's but none with the initials A.S.

I even checked my Army Lists (no Carly) and came up with a Lieut A.S. Carey of the 1st/8th Middx Regt
In 1914 they were in Gibraltar, then to France in March 1915, I know it is clutching at straws, because of the m/s date 2/15 on the cover. could he have been on a transport?. He was KIA in France 15th Sept 1916

Best I can come up with

Frank Schofield

Alan Baker

That is an interesting idea,which could explain the manuscript "Serving afloat" which I felt sounded unusual from a matelot.

Incidently, the NCH, Frodsham was a National Children's Home. Not sure it helps though

Nick Colley

Thanks, chaps. 'T'would be slightly annoying from my pov if it was an army mark .....

Childrens' Home, eh ? Sounds like a suitable calling for Miss Chapman ?  :P

Seriously, though, given the conundrum posed by the signature, and thinking outside The Box (so to speak), might the first initial be a poncey way of writing a capital R instead of an A ?? And might the surname be Carey ? Just a couple of thoughts...... ?

chrs
N

Chris Weddell

Hello Nick

I read it as A S Carley. Which I do have a note as A.S. Carley was a  2ND Lt. with the R.A.M.C. in 1914. The signature is the same I seem to remember. Sorry i cant be of much more help as I do not have the cover any more.

Cheers

Chris

Nick Colley

Ah-ha !

So, it might be a hospital ship ??  :D (Peter H. take note, when you get your internet back .....(hard luck, by the way .....)).

Thanks, Chris !

chrs
N

Chris Weddell

Nick,

I am 100% sure it was not a hospital ship. I thought it may have been from a troop ship.

Cheers

Chris.

Nick Colley

Ah, ok, pity  :-\

Thanks anyway, Chris.

chrs
N

Frank Schofield

Nick

Had a rethink on this one, and have come up with:-

Sub/Lt. A.J. CARLES, appt to HMS Coquette (Destroyer) 29.7.14.
Appt to HMS Dolphin (Fort Blockhouse) for Submarines 1.8.15
Appt to HMS Maidstone (Harwich) for Submarines 28.1.16.
KIA 26.4.16. when HMS/m E22 was torpedoed by UB 18 off Great Yarmouth.

If the m/s date 2/15 is correct, this makes it HMS Coquette, who was acting as a tender to HMS Actaeon, the Torpedo School at Sheerness at that time and possibly might  identify this censor mark.

Frank Schofield

Nick Colley

Ah, good effort, Frank ! Yes, I can see how you decipher A.J.Carles  :)

Very tempting. But surely a tender to a shore establishment would berth in harbour each evening ? ie would not qualify for free postage ? What do you think ?

Pensively yrs

N

Frank Schofield

Nick

She did go to sea, because on 7th March 1916, she hit a mine and sunk off the East Coast

That may explain the "Serving Afloat" in order to qualify for free postage

Frank

Nick Colley

Yes, what I meant, Frank, was that since she is in home waters, free postage would not be available - so HMS Coquette may not be correct - much as I would like it to be.

chrs
N