• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

POW cachet British Post Office Tangier 1915

Started by Michael Dobbs, August 16, 2017, 08:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

At MIDPEX we were approached by an individual who subsequently submitted the following query:

[color=maroon]I dont collect "Forces items" but have this in my Morocco Agencies collection.
I assume the "POST FREE PRISONERS OF WAR PC" cachet was applied in transit in the UK. Can you educate me?[/color]

Can anyone provide a suitable explanation please. 

Many thanks, Mike  :)

Frank Schofield

Mike

Bit of background on this officer. only E. Scholefield listed as POW by Cox & Co is a E.R.C. Scholefield
Disembarked WF 27/11/14 as 1376 Sgt in Royal Flying Corps
Commissioned Lieut 27/4/15  Missing 1/9/15
Also listed in the Army List under Lancashire Fusiliers, Lieut, seniority 1/7/17
1/4/18 RFC became RAF. Released from Germany 10/4/18 to Internment in Holland
Finally repatriated 18/11/18
Cannot understand why the 2nd Lieut additional rank in the address

Hope of some use

Frank Schofield

ChristchurchPS

Robin Startup attributed 'P.C.' to Postal Censor in a marking that was used on civillian items being sent from NZ to overseas destinations.

Robert Duns

Peter Harvey

I would assume this has as stated simply been in transit through the UK and civilian censor. The PC cachet is very common on WW1 POW mail, the rest of the cover and addresses typically provide all of the interest and identification?

Pete